Addams Family Trivia
* After John Astin's first sitcom, "I'm Dickens, He's Fenster," was cancelled, he auditioned for "The Addams Family," and was turned down...for the part of Lurch. He didn't even try out for Gomez. But the producer spied John leaving the room, grabbed him, and offered him the lead role on the spot. The only condition: Astin had to grow a mustache.
* It took Carolyn Jones two hours every day to put on Morticia's makeup. The final touch: she wore a wig made of human hair.
* Jones was only the producer's 3rd choice to play Morticia. ABC insisted that they needed a "name" actress, and Jones was the only well-known performer in the running, so she got the part.
* Cousin Itt's voice was supplied by "Addams" producer Nat Perrin, who recited gibberish into a tape recorder and played it back at a higher speed.
* Creator Charles Addams, who'd never given his characters first names, had to come up with some for the TV show. Within a week he'd decided on all of them - except for Mr. Addams, who almost wound up being called "Repelli" (for repellant) instead of Gomez.
* Lurch got fan mail from teenage girls who thought he was cuter than the Beatles.
* The unique interior of the Addams house was inspired by the real-life Manhattan apartment of Charles Addams, which contained suits of armor, an antique cross-bow collection, and other odds-and-ends.